Zum Inhalt springen

What do I need to know about going to the doctor in Germany?

    If you need a doctor while you are studying with us, you will need to see a general practioner (Hausarzt or Allgemeinmediziner). The doctor will examine you and may send you to a specialist (Facharzt) if you need extra tests (e.g a dermatologist for skin problems or cardiologist for heart problems). They might give you a prescription. Take this to the chemist (Apotheke) to pick up your medicine. You can visit a dentist (Zahnarzt) or GU clinic (Frauenarzt) without visiting the doctor first. You should only go to a hospital if you have an acute emergency.