Admission requirements2020-01-28T12:45:42+01:00

There are two ways to get into a German university:

  1. You have a school-leaving certificate that is equivalent to the German “Abitur” or you have completed at least a year’s university study in your home country. After passing a German language test you can directly apply for university.
  2. You don’t have an equivalent school-leaving certificate and haven’t studied at a university in your home country. In this case you will have to visit a preparatory college in Germany for 1 year to take lessons in a variety of subjects (German, mathematics, biology, etc.). If you successfully pass the final examination you can apply for university. You do not have to take any further German language tests.

You will only be accepted at a preparatory college if you have a German language level of B2. Follow this link to see how your school-leaving certificate is evaluated: https://anabin.kmk.org/anabin.html


When you register for one of our German courses, include a copy of your school-leaving certificates, what you would like to study and, if possible, your preferred place of study.

We will then get your documents checked (fee: 100 €). 4 – 6 weeks later you will receive a document which will state whether you can go straight to university or whether you need to visit a preparatory college (Studienkolleg) first. If you present this preliminary document (Vorprüfdokumentation) with your visa application and the course confirmation letter from us at the German embassy in your home country, you can obtain a university applicants visa.

Bank account/blocked account2020-01-28T15:25:32+01:00

In order to get a visa you will need to prove that you can cover the cost of living (a blocked account with a balance of 10,236 € for 1 year / guarantee from parents / declaration of commitment).

Do I need a visa?2020-01-28T15:24:27+01:00

The best way to find out if you need a visa is to look at the homepage of the Foreign Office. There you will find the address of the German embassy in your home country, where you can ask about the exact requirements for entering Germany.

Please remember, if you need a visa to travel and want to study or attend a long language course in Germany you cannot enter the country on a tourist visa. A tourist visa cannot be extended.

I need a visa. What should I do?2020-01-28T15:24:12+01:00

If you need a visa to attend a language course please send us your course registration in the first instance. You will then receive our invoice for the course with a brief confirmation message. After you have paid the invoice we will send you a letter of confirmation by post or email that you can hand in to the embassy. Check with the German embassy in your home country (www.auswaertiges-amt.de) whether you need any other supporting documents. Be aware that your visa application may take several weeks or even months to process. Make sure you allow plenty of time.

What do I do if I don’t get the visa in time?2020-01-28T15:26:04+01:00

If you haven’t received your visa in time, please let us know at least 2 weeks before the course is due to begin. We will then postpone the start of the course to a later date.